Police: Suspect wounded after firing at officers during pursuit

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – UPDATE: Police have identified the suspect in Wednesday’s high-speed chase as 21-year old Elijah Martinez. Martinez was previously wanted on burglary charges in November.

Elijah Martinez (Photo courtesy KASPER)

Officials have a suspect in custody after shots were fired at police. It happened just before 10 a.m. in the 700 block of North Gilda. It is near Central and I-235.

Wichita police were investigating a disturbance and confronted the suspects, a man and woman, at a business on Gilda. The man fired shots inside the business and outside in the parking lot at officers. The suspect received a gunshot wound to the face when gunfire was exchanged with the officers. He fled in a stolen silver pickup. A woman who was with the man is also in custody.

The stolen silver pickup can be seen in a parking lot near Maple and Maize. The suspect was shot in the face and was taken to a hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries. (Photo courtesy KSN News)

After a high-speed chase around town, officers were able to apprehend the suspect after he crashed at Maple and Maize. He was transported to St. Francis for the wound to his jaw. He is in fair but stable condition.

“We believe the suspect fired at an officer in the area at Central and I-235. We believe the suspect swerved at an officer attempting to deploy stop sticks in the area of Maple and Meridian,” said Deputy Police Chief Troy Livingston, Wichita Police Department.

Police said one officer suffered a hand injury, but it isn’t yet clear how.

Meanwhile, two officers were placed on leave after firing at the suspect. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the investigation due to the shooting being officer-involved.

Those, like Meri Jackson, witnessed the incident as it came to an end.

“Right as the truck pulled in, the police were just right on him and they blocked him in,” said Jackson.

KSN looked into the suspect’s criminal history.

In 2015, Martinez was convicted of two counts of burglary.

Just last month, Wichita Police posted on their Facebook page that they were looking for Martinez.

They said he was wanted for aggravated burglary, theft and interference with a law enforcement officer.

Wichita police say after today’s shooting, Martinez could face charges of aggravated assault or attempted murder.

Once Martinez is released from the hospital, he will be arrested and booked into jail and charges will then be filed.

KSN will continue to follow this story and bring you updates as we get them both on air and online.


Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.