Fire department: Portable heaters need to be plugged into outlets

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Officials said a fire last week Wednesday was caused by an overloaded outlet.

The fire sent two people to the hospital. It broke out around 11 a.m. in the 1500 block of South Market. When Wichita fire crews arrived, they found two people outside the home.

“Several extension cords were plugged into a series of three power strips, which was connected to a portable space heater,” said Lt. Jose Ocadiz, Wichita Fire Department. “Portable heaters need to be plugged directly into outlets.”

Both victims were treated and released.


Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.