WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Sedgwick County is taking extra precautions against the measles after at least one case of the virus has been confirmed.
County health officials say the original host is from Butler County and was on a trip home from Romania, and while on a connecting flight from Chicago, the peron gave the virus to a Sedgwick County resident.
“If anyone is thinking, ‘hmm I am not vaccinated, for whatever reason I did not get one as a child and maybe I should?’ Yeah, absolutely,” says Adrienne Bryne, MS, Sedgwick County Health Department Director.
This after officials in Sedgwick County are dealing with at least one confirmed case of the measles, even though that person was vaccinated.
“It is a rarity, this a first for us,” says Byrne.
They also were evaluating a child younger than 12 months, but the test results came back negative on Monday evening.
Though county health officials believe the majority of people in the county are vaccinated, they’re reminding you of what the symptoms could be to a very contagious virus.
“They will have runny nose. Their eyes can be red. Pretty high fever and then symptoms 3-4 days later because it is a rash that appears around the head the neck the trunk and generally spreads on down,” says Byrne.
The Sedgwick County person who was diagnosed set off a chain of events, prompting health officials to extensively look at their whereabouts between July 10-13.
- Monday, July 10, 2017, between 6:45 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Lamar’s Donuts located at 10051 West 21st Street
- Monday, July 10, 2017, between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Pathway Church located at 2001 North Maize Road
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017, between 2:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Walmart located at 21st and Maize
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017, between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Kwik Shop located at 37th and Maize
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017, between 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. Jason’s Deli located at 21st and Ridge
- Wednesday, July 12, 2017, between 3:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Jiffy Lube located at 21st and Ridge
- Wednesday, July 12, 2017, between 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Academy Sports located at 2710 North Maize Road
- Wednesday, July 12, 2017, between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Michael’s located at 2441 North Maize Road
- Wednesday, July 12, 2017, between 5:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Family Video located at 29th and Tyler
- Thursday July 13, 2017, between 8:00 a.m. 10:30 a.m. Moxley and Wagle Periodontics located at 825 South Hillside
- Thursday July 13, 2017, between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Vermillion Elementary located at 501 South James Avenue
They say the businesses are clear because the virus is only alive on the surface outside the body for little more than half an hour.
Someone showing symptoms can show them anywhere from 7-21 days and is only contagious four days before and four days after diagnosis.
The good news is that the original Sedgwick County host should be clear from spreading.
“Anyone else that was going to come down with measles would have already shown symptoms,” says Byrne.