NBC about ‘This is Us’ change: Never mind

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC now says “never mind” to its bold scheduling move of shifting the hit drama “This is Us” to Thursdays next season.

The network said Tuesday it was shelving that plan and leaving the heartwarming series in place on Tuesday nights. A network executive familiar with the plans told The Associated Press there was concern that with NBC airing Thursday night football games in the late fall, there would be too many interruptions for the serialized show, perhaps annoying viewers. The executive spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the plans publicly.

With the move back to Tuesday, NBC will be able to air nine or 10 continuous episodes of “This is Us” before there are any interruptions, the executive said.

The move had been the centerpiece of NBC’s plan, announced just two weeks ago, to create a schedule that echoed its “must-see TV” Thursday nights of two decades ago.

It’s not unusual for a television network to tinker with plans that it announces to advertisers in the spring, but rarely are the changes this high-profile and extensive. The move essentially requires NBC to completely restructure its Tuesday and Thursday schedules.

Moving “This is Us” back to Tuesday means the comedies “Superstore” and “Great News” will shift to Thursdays. The revived “Will & Grace,” which NBC had been planning for 8 p.m. on Thursdays, will shift back an hour.

NBC also is moving “Chicago Fire” to Thursday, replacing it on Tuesday with a new “Law & Order” miniseries focusing on the Menendez murder case, the story of two brothers convicted of killing their wealthy parents in 1989.