WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The National Weather Service reports that there were brief tornadoes near Zenda and Elmdale May 19 where structural damage was caused.
The tornado near Zenda has been rated an EF0 with an unknown path length and width. The tornado reached a peak of 85 mph winds.
The tornado near Elmdale has been rated an EF1 with an estimated peak wind speed of 100 mph.
The Enhanced Fujita Scale classifies tornadoes into the following categories:
- EF0 – Weak – 65 to 85 mph wind speeds
- EF1 – Weak – 86 to 110 mph wind speeds
- EF2 – Strong – 111 to 135 mph wind speeds
- EF3 – Strong – 136 to 165 mph wind speeds
- EF4 – Violent – 166 to 200 mph wind speeds
- EF5 – Violent – wind speeds greater than 200 mph