JUNCTION CITY, Kan. (AP) – An apartment fire in northeast Kansas that caused nearly $3.8 million in damage has been ruled accidental and associated with the improper disposal of smoking materials.
Junction City Fire Department Chief Terry Johnson said in a statement Monday that the fire department and the state of Kansas’ Fire Marshal’s Office made the determination.
The Topeka Capital-Journal reports the April 8 fire at the Bluffs Apartment Complex damaged 28 units across the three-story building.
The fire department estimates nearly 1.7 million gallons of water were used over a period of 10 hours during the fire.
Johnson says the fire department urges anyone thinking of carelessly discarding an ignited item to realize it can cause a catastrophic incident that impacts many people.