WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – A fire in southeast Wichita has left a family and several children without home. It happened Saturday night in the 800 block of South San Pablo. It is near Lincoln and Governeour.
“I don’t have no idea where me and my family of eight are going to stay tonight,” says Nakisha Wright.
The family is still in shock.
“As you can see, our apartment just got set on fire, we are not sure how it started,” says Wright.
Something the fire department is trying to figure out.
“Fire crews got on scene and advised that we did have extensive damage fire involvement in the house.”
A family friend discovered the fire and leaped into action.
“I gave my friend my baby and ran across the street and saw the whole house on fire, and the fire in the living room and I thought these three kids were inside,” Sharice Johnson.
The good news the father already had the kids outside. But that family friend wanted to make sure everyone was alive and ok. That father had just moments earlier, found the curtains on fire grabbed the kids and got them out.
“We have Red Cross being called for the residents and eight adults and three children are going to be displaced from the house tonight,” says Fire Chief Joe Bickel.
That family is grateful they are alive but they are now looking for a place to live and hopeful they can find a way to replace Christmas.
“Just Christmas gifts for my kids, Christmas tree, you know our furniture. So if anyone is willing to donate any extra gifts or anything that you have. I have three children two of them are girls and one is a boy,” says Wright.
If you want to help the family you can reach out to them using these two numbers: 316-832-5574, 316-655-2175.