WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The porch pirates are back at it again.
After Black Friday and Cyber Monday, thieves come stealing packages right off of porches.
With an estimated 1 billion packages being delivered every holiday season, it’s believed that about 23 million will be stolen
This is a problem everywhere including right here in Wichita.
Several Riverside neighbors have reported packages stolen off their front steps. Danny Mason is taking action this holiday season and had a security system installed on his house, giving him some peace of mind by being able to have a new set of eyes on every corner of the house.
“Our neighbors are watching pretty close. A lot of us have cameras, more and more people are having them installed, ” Mason said.
Wichita police are offering some tips to the community when having items delivered.
- If possible, ask for a tracking number. Most major shipping companies offer this service at no charge. This number allows you to track your packages and notifies you when they will be delivered.
- Request a “Signature Delivery Option”. This requires a signature when the packages are delivered and ensures they will not be left at the front door
- Request a specific drop off time and date when you will be home to accept your packages
- Arrange to have your packages held at the shipping service so you can pick them up
- Ask the delivery service to leave your packages at a side or back door. An enclosed porch where packages are out of sight is also a good option
- Have your packages delivered to your workplace
- Have your packages delivered to the home of a relative or neighbor who will be there to accept them
- Ask to have your packages delivered to a retail store so you can pick them up at your convenience
- Ask a trustworthy neighbor to keep a “Watchful Eye” out for your packages. If they’re willing, ask them to safeguard your packages until you return home
- Leave a note for the carrier instructing them where to leave your packages (Ex: backdoor)
- If your packages do not arrive as scheduled contact the sender immediately