KSN continues to look in baby abduction suspect

Yesenia Sesmas (Courtesy: Dallas County Sheriff’s Department)

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – KSN News continues to look into records for the woman accused of abducting a newborn and killing her mother. Yesenia Sesmas remains in a Dallas Jail. Sesmas was arrested Saturday in the death of 27-year-old Laura Abarca-Nogueda and the kidnapping of her 6-day-old daughter Sophia.

The Sedgwick County Sheriff confirms there was an arrest of Sesmas last July, and then she bonded out of jail.

“There was a case this summer where she was arrested and placed into the Sedgwick County Jail on $50,000 bond. She bonded out, and then, she did not appear for her court date,” said Sheriff Jeff Easter.

Sheriff Easter says Sesmas that court appearance date was set but he won’t go into detail about any charges in that case.

After that court date was missed, the judge bumped her bond up to $200,000 and the sheriff’s office began searching for her.

“They didn’t show up for court and they are on the run, and believe it or not family members and other folks will lie to us about their whereabouts.”

So KSN asked what is the process for finding someone like Sesmas, when they do not show up for court.

Chief Deputy Richard Powell would not talk about this specific case but did say that the office has four warrant officers and they have 12,000 cases to clear, most simple warrants but many that are also serious crimes.

“Of those, about 2,000 are active criminal warrants that would rise to the level of attention.”

To find people, they do research on family and friends and ask for help from other law agencies but say they are limited in what they can accomplish while trying to clear the most serious cases first.

“And of course only by good law enforcement investigative work do we find those people and sometimes we find them in a matter of hours and sometimes it is weeks and months.”

Sesmas is still waiting to be extradited back to Wichita. The sheriff confirms they are ready to take the Sedgwick County airplane to Texas, to pick her up. However, first they must have the governors of Kansas and Texas sign off on the paperwork. If she fights that it could take up to 90 days. Either way she is in jail and she is facing charges.