One person airlifted to hospital after home explodes in Lincoln County

Lincoln County explosion (Courtesy: KSN's Amanda Aguilar)

LINCOLN COUNTY, Kan. (KSNW) – Authorities in Lincoln County said a gas leak caused a house explosion. It happened at 647 North 290th Road near Beverly around 7:30 a.m.

Lincoln County Sheriff Mike Weigel said when EMS and fire crews arrived they found the home completely on fire.

A 57-year-old woman inside the home was airlifted to a Wichita hospital. She is in critical condition.

“I think it’s probably a miracle she’s alive. It sounds like she’s probably going to be alright,” said Weigel.

A neighbor tells KSN News that he went down to the scene after he heard the explosion. He found the woman outside waving her arms for help.

The sheriff said the explosion could be heard from 20 miles away.

The Kansas State Fire Marshal and Black Hills Energy assisted in the investigation.  So far, crews haven’t been able to pinpoint the origin of the explosion.