Man suffers hole in his esophagus after ghost pepper eating contest


Imagine eating something so hot that it tears a hole in your esophagus and have to spend more than three weeks in the hospital. That is exactly what recently happened to one California man.

The 47-year-old man had eaten a hamburger smothered with a ghost pepper puree as part of contest.

It was so hot it caused a two-and-a half centimeter tear in his esophagus.

This is how hot the pepper is: In Scoville units, which measures the heat, it clocks in at over one million.

A habanero comes in at half-a-million. A jalapeno anywhere between 2,500 to 8,000.