St. Joseph Catholic School evacuated after gas smell and leak

The Wichita Fire Department responded to St. Joseph Catholic school after a gas smell was reported Monday. (KSN Photo)

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – St. Joseph Catholic School was evacuated Monday morning after a gas smell. It happened around 10 a.m. The school is located in the 100 block of South Millwood.

According to the Wichita Catholic Diocese, someone put a kettle on a gas stove to make tea. Someone smelled gas and called the fire department.

About 115 students at the school and staff were evacuated to an adjacent church.

The fire department checked the situation. The diocese said the gas has been shut off, and the leak with the stove will be fixed.

Students returned to class shortly after.