Samsung to issue global recall for Galaxy Note 7

HONG KONG – Samsung Electronics is recalling millions of their new Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after reports of the phone exploding while charging.

The phone was unveiled just a month ago, but officials said they found a problem with the battery in some phones.

In a statement from the company, officials said:

Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.

To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.

It continues by saying that customers will be able to have their phone voluntarily replaced with a new device over the coming weeks. So far, 2.5 million phones had been sold.

Comments are closed.