TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Kansas Department of Health and Environment says five lakes are under a warning for blue-green algae.
A Public Health Warning indicates that activities like boating and fishing may be safe; however, direct contact with water (i.e., wading, skiing and swimming) is strongly discouraged for people, pets and livestock.
Kansas public waters currently under a Warning status:
- CENTRAL PARK LAKE, Shawnee County
- LAKE AFTON, Sedgwick County
- MILFORD RESERVOIR (Zones A and C), Clay, Dickinson and Geary Counties
- OVERBROOK CITY LAKE, Osage County
- SOUTH LAKE (Overland Park), Johnson Count
Lakes under a Warning are not closed. Marinas, lakeside businesses and park camping facilities are open for business. If swim beaches are closed, it will be specifically noted. Drinking water and showers at parks are safe and not affected by algae blooms. Boating and fishing are safe on lakes under a Warning, but contact with the water should be avoided. It is safe to eat fish caught during a harmful blue-green algae outbreak, as long as the fish is rinsed with clean water; only the fillet portion is consumed and all other parts are discarded. Hands should also be washed with clean water after handling fish taken from an affected lake. Zoned lakes may have portions fully open for all recreation even if other portions are under a Warning.
Kansans should be aware that blooms are unpredictable. They can develop rapidly and may float around the lake, requiring visitors to exercise their best judgment. If there is scum, a paint-like surface or the water is bright green, avoid contact and keep pets away. These are indications that a harmful bloom may be present. Pet owners should be aware that animals that swim in or drink water affected by a harmful algal bloom or eat dried algae along the shore may become seriously ill or die.
When a Warning is issued, KDHE recommends the following precautions be taken:
- Lake water is not good to drink for pets or livestock
- Lake water, regardless of blue-green algae status, should never be consumed by humans
- Water contact should be avoided
- Fish can be eaten as long as they are rinsed with clean water, consume only the fillet portion, and discard all other parts
- Do not allow pets to eat dried algae
- If lake water contacts skin, wash with clean water as soon as possible
- Avoid areas of visible algae accumulation