Florida bee removal goes bad

Michael Ledlow suited up and ready to take on the bees. (NBC photo)

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (WPTV) — A Fort Pierce, Florida man is in the hospital after he says he was stung by nearly 150 bees Monday morning.

Michael Ledlow said he was trying to get rid of bees at his ex-wife’s home to protect his 8- and 12-year-old grandchildren.

“I volunteered. I took it on my own to do it because my granddaughter lives there and she’s been battling Leukemia for three years,” he said. “I didn’t want her to get stung and my other granddaughter to get stung.”

Ledlow says the price to have a professional do the job was too expensive, so he obtained his own protective “bee suit”.

“I had the suit, I’ll just do it. The bees will just fly around me. They won’t bother me,” Ledlow said, “That was a mistake.”

Ledlow says he tried to suck the bees into a shop vac but it overheated.

Now, he’s hanging up the bee suit. “I’m never putting it on again.”

Comments are closed.