Fire official: Blaze that killed 6 doesn’t appear suspicious

An investigator walks in front of the scene of a fatal house fire Monday, March 7, 2016, in Atlanta. Fire crews were called to the house on the city’s northwest side about 5 a.m. Monday. When they arrived, the blaze had already spread through the roof and throughout the building, making it impossible for firefighters to reach some areas of the home. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

ATLANTA (AP) — Authorities say a fire that killed six people in a home in northwest Atlanta does not appear suspicious, though they continue to investigate.

Atlanta Fire Rescue Sgt. Cortez Stafford said Tuesday that while the blaze doesn’t appear to be arson, authorities are looking into every possible cause.

Stafford said they’ve interviewed a key witness — a woman who was in the home about 30 minutes before the blaze began early Monday morning.

Authorities said four men and two women were killed. The Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office is doing autopsies on the six. Authorities have not identified them.

A neighbor, Kimberly Wise, said the owner of the home allowed people into the house when they were down on their luck and needed a place to stay.

Comments are closed.