HUTCHINSON, Kansas – Hutchinson fire officials say a carelessly discarded cigarette likely caused a grass fire Saturday.
According to Hutchinson Fire Department Battalion Chief Rex Albright, firefighters were called to the report of a brush fire in the 1400 block of West 3rd Avenue.
The first units on the scene found a large tree row on fire with several school buses, trailers and a structure being threatened by the blaze. Albright said the fire was brought under control within 15 minutes, and pine trees approximately 25 feet tall were burned.
The fire spread rapidly due to high winds and dry conditions.
Albright said the fire burned seven school buses, a storage trailer, and caused some interior insulation damage to a building.
No one was injured in the fire.
The fire caused an estimated $47,000 in damages to seven school buses.