UK police probe ‘terrorist’ knife attack at London station

Police cordon off Leytonstone Underground Station in east London following a stabbing incident, Saturday Dec. 5, 2015. The stabbing is being treated as a "terrorist incident," the London police said Saturday. The London police counterterror command said in a statement that it is investigating the incident in which a man was threatening people with a knife at around 7 p.m. (1900 GMT; 2 p.m. EST). One person sustained serious injuries and two others received minor injuries. (Jonathan Brady/PA via AP)

LONDON (AP) — Counter-terrorism police in Britain on Sunday investigated a stabbing at a London Underground station in which a man brandishing a knife injured two people and reportedly said “This is for Syria.”

Police arrested a 29-year-old man late Saturday and said they are treating the “violent unprovoked knife attack” at east London’s Leytonstone subway station as a “terrorist incident.”

Richard Walton, chief of Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command, said the decision was made because of information received from witnesses and subsequent police investigations. The force said it was searching a residential address in east London, but declined to say whether they were looking for other suspects.

British media widely reported that the suspect linked his actions to Syria after the attack. The claim could not be independently verified, but the incident comes just days after Parliament approved British airstrikes on Islamic State group targets in Syria.

Like many other European countries, authorities in Britain are already on edge after Islamic extremist attacks in Paris last month left 130 people dead. The last extremist attack in Britain was in May 2013, when two British-born, al-Qaida-inspired extremists stabbed an off-duty soldier to death on a busy London street.

Comments are closed.