CHARLOTTE, N.C. – According to several sources, Tony Stewart will announce this week that he’s retiring following the 2016 season.
Stewart-Haas Racing said Sunday night that Stewart and team co-owner Gene Haas will hold a news conference at their team shop on Wednesday. The topic was not disclosed, but a person familiar with Stewart’s plans says the three-time NASCAR champion will announce his upcoming retirement.
Stewart will be 45 next season and has not won a race in over two years. He was involved in a sprint car accident that killed Kevin Ward Jr. in New York last year. The aftermath continues to play out in the civil courts.
FOXSports.com is reporting that Emporia, KS native Clint Bowyer will replace Stewart in 2017. Bowyer will be a free agent this coming offseason after Michael Waltrip Racing closes at the end of the year.