India, Pakistan say some 1,100 killed in Saudi hajj disaster

An Iranian protester chants slogans while police officers prevent him from approaching to the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Sept. 27, 2015, during a gathering to blame the Arab country for a deadly stampede on Thursday that killed more than 700 pilgrims. Iran's hajj agency on Sunday said 155 Iranian pilgrims died in the Mina incident and another 103 were wounded. It said 321 Iranians are still missing. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

ISLAMABAD (AP) – Authorities in India and Pakistan say Saudi officials have given diplomats some 1,100 photographs of the dead from last week’s hajj crush and stampede.

That would be significantly higher than the official toll of 769 dead given by Saudi Arabia from Thursday’s disaster in Mina. Saudi authorities could not be immediately reached for comment Monday.

Tariq Fazal Chaudhry, a lawmaker in Pakistan’s governing PML-N political party who is leading his country’s response to the disaster, said Saudi officials gave diplomats “1,100 photos” of the dead. Chaudhry told journalists during a news conference broadcast nationwide on Monday night that the photos could be viewed at their Saudi missions.

Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj wrote on Sunday on Twitter that Saudi officials released photos of “1,090 pilgrims” who died at Mina.

Comments are closed.