WICHITA, Kansas – Wichita fire crews responded to a house fire in southeast Wichita Monday morning. It happened in the 1600 block of South Glendale just before 9 a.m.
According to Battalion Chief John Turner, the call came in from a person driving by that there was smoke coming from the house. When crews arrived, they discovered a fire in the utility area of the home.
The storm overnight had pulled power lines from a home. The investigation is ongoing but Turner said they are focusing on a power surge that may have caused overheating in the utility area. The firemen were forced to evacuate due to the danger of electricity from the downed power line.
Nobody was hurt, and fire crews say no one was home when the fire broke out.