WICHITA, Kansas – Wichita firefighters were called to a plastics molding plant in south Wichita Wednesday night following a chlorine gas leak.
The incident occurred at Wescon Products, located in the 2800 block of S. West Street. The building was not evacuated.
Wescon Plastics says an injection-molding machine running PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) overheated – causing it to release a small amount of chlorine gas.
Six employees were evaluated by EMS, and two were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure. The injuries are not life threatening.
Wescon Plastics is back up and running at full capacity. The company thanks EMS, Hazmat, and the fire department for their quick response.