8-year-old dies after Christmas Eve Hutch fire

HUTCHINSON, Kansas — Via-Christi confirms the 8-year-old boy died last night of injuries. He was transported to Via-Christi St. Francis burn unit in critical condition Wednesday.

Firefighters were called to an apartment fire around 4:51 a.m. Christmas Eve morning in the 400 block of West 1st Street in Hutchinson.

Upon arrival, heavy fire was seen from three sides of the building and a victim was found in the front of the residence.

Crews were told of at least three others that were trapped on the second floor. Ground ladders were used at the rear of the residence to rescue four occupants inside the building.

Chief Kim Forbes, Hutchinson Fire Department, told KSN that fire crews were able to bring the fire under control but struggled with fire in the walls that went into the attic area. The stairs leading to the upstairs apartment were burned out forcing crews to gain entry and rescue victims from the second floor windows.

The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical and the residence has been deemed a total loss.

A total of eight people were taken to the hospital via Reno County EMS. It is believed at this time the seven other patients have been released from the hospital.

Comments are closed.