LAKE DELTON, Wis. (AP) — Authorities blame an ice resurfacing machine for a suspected carbon monoxide leak that sent dozens of people to hospitals after a junior hockey game at a Wisconsin rink.
Delton Fire Chief Darren Jorgenson tells the Star Tribune of Minneapolis the carbon monoxide was coming from one of the rink’s two propane-fueled resurfacing machines.
Jorgenson says the machine “wasn’t fully combusting the propane,” and the ventilation system was unable to offset the problem.
He says the employee operating the machine thought it was functioning properly. Both machines will be inspected Monday.
At least 81 people were treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after the leak was discovered at Poppy Waterman Ice Rink in Lake Delton on Saturday.