WICHITA, Kansas – Wichita Mayor Carl Brewer and City Council members will host the annual “A Night with Santa” holiday event from 6 to 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 2 at the Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center, 225 W. Douglas. The event is free and open to the public. Donations of non-perishable food items will be accepted benefiting the Kansas Food Bank Warehouse.
The evening begins outdoors on Kennedy Plaza, with the Newman Troubadours sing carols and Mrs. Claus reading “The Night before Christmas.” Also, there will be a Christmas tree lighting ceremony, Santa Claus will arrive on a fire truck, and a fireworks show will light the dark sky over the Arkansas River.
The indoor event, hosted by the Wichita Park and Recreation Department, takes place inside Exhibition & Convention Hall. Doors will open to the public at 6:30 p.m. The fun includes games, crafts and inflatables for children 12 & under. Participants can have a professional photo taken with Santa for only $5 or take photos with their own cameras for free. Live Christmas trees and bicycles will be awarded at 8:30 p.m.
The event will include street closures at the following locations:
• Douglas Avenue, Main Street to McLean Boulevard
• Waco Street, Douglas Avenue to First Street
• Century II Drive from Main St. to Douglas Avenue
• South Cancun Street, Century II Drive to west Tlalnepantla Drive
• North Civic Center Place, north side of Douglas Avenue
• Wichita Street, north side of Douglas Avenue
• Water Street and Douglas Avenue intersection