Fire damages fraternity house in Lawrence

Fraternity Fire (Courtesy Kansas First News)
Fraternity Fire (Courtesy Kansas First News)

LAWRENCE, Kansas (AP) — Members of a fraternity at the University of Kansas are moving back into their chapter house after a minor fire.

Lawrence-Douglas County firefighters were called to the Sigma Chi house around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday on a report of smoke coming from the third floor.

The fire was under control at 12:30 p.m. and was contained to an area that houses bedrooms and a bathroom.

The university said the 74 residents of the house were able to move back in by Tuesday evening. Four were moving to other rooms in the house.

The Sigma Chi house was also damaged in August 2012 in an accidental fire caused by construction.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus