Today’s recipe comes from Denise Dias of the K-State Extension Education Center. Today’s recipe coincides with the Extension Center’s annual Tomato Day which takes place this Saturday, July 26th from 7 a.m. to noon at 7001 W. 21st St N in Wichita. For more information, visit their website at www.sedgwick.ksu.edu.
1 lb. fresh green and/or wax beans, trimmed
1 lb. Mexico Midget heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, cut into wedges
1 recipe Red Wine Vinaigrette
2 Tbsps. chopped fresh basil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash hands and work area.
- In a medium saucepan cook beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 7-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Submerse in ice water to cool quickly; drain.
- In a large bowl combine beans, tomatoes & red onion. Drizzle with Red Wine Vinaigrette; sprinkle with basil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Toss gently to coat. Serves 8. Refrigerate within 2 hours.
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl combine 2 Tbsps. red wine vinegar & 1 Tbsp. finely chopped shallot.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in 1-1/2 tsps. Dijon-style mustard. Add 2 Tbsps. extra
- virgin olive oil in a thin steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Stir in
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt & 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Makes about 1/3 cup.
Tomato Day: July 26th from 7 a.m. to noon at 7001 W. 21st St N in Wichita (Click here for PDF flyer – 6.57MB).