Electric cord sparked fire that killed firefighter

(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

NEW YORK (AP) – New York City fire officials say a high-rise blaze that killed a fire lieutenant started in a pinched electrical cord in a cluttered apartment, adding that the fire has been ruled accidental.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro says an air conditioner cord was pinned between a bed frame and a wall in the 19th-floor Brooklyn apartment, where Lt. Gordon Ambelas became trapped while looking for possible victims.

Nigro says that although the cause and origin of Saturday night’s fire has been determined, the department’s investigation remains ongoing into its first line-of-duty death in more than two years.

On Sunday, firefighters solemnly hung flag bunting at the Brooklyn firehouse where the 40-year-old married father of two daughters from Staten Island had worked for the last several months of his 14-year career.

A fellow firefighter, friend and former roommate, Eric Bischoff, says Ambelas “died a hero – that’s how he lived.” Bischoff calls Ambelas “truly one of the best human beings that anyone would ever want to meet.”

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus