FORD, Kansas– “The fire department was called a little before 7 am this morning for a house explosion,” said Ford County Fire Investigator Jacob Davis.
Mea Duffield heard the explosion eight blocks away. “Then I felt the shake and I’m like okay something happened, and then I got on Facebook and somebody said there was an explosion in town.”
When EMS arrived they found a woman inside. Neighbors say she had just moved into the home.
“They took care of the patient right away,” said Davis of the first responders. “She was in critical condition, and was transported to Western Plains Hospital in Dodge City.”
She was then airlifted to St. Francis in Wichita.
When the house exploded it went out, then collapsed down on itself, sending pieces of glass and debris scattered across neighboring yards and out in the street.”
So what caused it all? Early indications are that a gas leak caused the blast.
“There was very minimal fire, that they extinguished,” Davis said.
Investigators said the utilities were hooked up to the home Wednesday, but they’re still trying to pinpoint exactly what sparked the explosion.