Cause of Hutchinson house fire released

Hutchinson house fire (KSN Photo)

UPDATE 6/20/14: Hutchinson Fire Department released the cause of the fire Friday as a juvenile playing with lighter fluid and a hand-held lighter. The woman flown by helicopter to Wichita for her injuries was identified as Judy King.

HUTCHINSON, Kansas – A woman and two firefighters were injured Wednesday in a fast-moving house fire.

The fire broke out around 3 p.m. at 930 East Sherman. It quickly went to a two-alarm fire.

Family members tell KSN the woman was in the home with two grandchildren when the fire broke out. While the children were able to leave safely, the woman had to be rescued by firefighters.

She was flown to Wichita in critical condition.

“There was some sort of an explosion and the house caught fire and my mother was in the house with grandchildren,” Connie Sowers, the woman’s daughter, told KSN. “My dad had went to get dinner, came back, and he was trying to get them out of the house.”

Sowers’ father also went to the hospital to get checked out by medical personnel, she said.

One firefighter suffered a back injury and another had a heat-related ailment, fire officials told KSN.

KSN talked with one neighbor who witnessed the fire.

“It got really bad. It wasn’t a long time before front of the house was fully engulfed. We started seeing smoke out the windows, everything like that,” Tim Black said.

Hutchinson Fire Chief Kim Forbes says the fire started on the porch and was pushed into the house by a strong south wind.

The home is likely a total loss.


Comments are closed.