Fire damages office at Newman University

WICHITA, Kansas – Fire crews responded to a fire at Newman University Monday.

It broke just after 8 a.m in the 3100 block of West McCormick at the Heimerman Science Building.

When crews arrived, they found smoke in the building.

“As they investigated the air handler, they started seeing smoke come out of door from an office. They had to force entry into office,” said Capt. Steward Bevis, Wichita Fire Department.

Crews determined the fire started at a wooden bookshelf near an extension cord at Dr. Singh’s office.

No one was injured or inside the building at the time.

Crews are working to ventilate the building and trying to salvage as much as they can from Singh’s office.

The fire caused several thousand dollars in damage.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, racial slurs or consistent name calling will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus