TONGANOXIE, Kan. (AP) – A 105-year-old woman is reported in good condition at a hospital after being rescued from her burning home in northeast Kansas.
WDAF-TV reports a nephew who lives next door to Ann Elizabeth Jarrett in Tonganoxie smelled smoke just after 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The nephew, Jackson Jarrett, says he saw smoke pouring from the roof of his aunt’s home. He opened her door but was turned back by smoke while listening to her call for help.
Firefighters were able to rescue the woman. She was taken to a Lawrence hospital for observation.
Tonganoxie Fire Chief David Barrett says it was one of his proudest days in his 26 years with the department.
Ann Elizabeth Jarrett is known in the neighborhood as a Sunday school teacher who still handles all her personal affairs.