Squirrel on fire

DERBY, Kan. — A Derby man saved his neighborhood from a fire – that was started by a flaming squirrel.

Luke Ratzlaff says it all started when his power went out for a few seconds. When he got outside he heard a noise coming from behind his shed. That’s when he spotted flames several feet high.

At first, Ratzlaff said he didn’t know how the fire started but soon figured it out.

“I put the fire out and I started laughing. And Chelsea [Ratzlaff’s wife] was walking up towards me. She was asking what I was laughing at. I was like there’s a squirrel just cooked.”

Ratzlaff says the fire was a close call and could have been worse. He said he was just glad he was home to put it all out.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus