Gammon Elementary evacuated due to gas smell

WICHITA, Kansas – Wichita public school officials say Gammon Elementary was evacuated Friday for an hour due to a gas smell in a west side hallway.

Gammon Elementary is located in the 3200 block of North Rushwood.

The Wichita Fire Department and gas company checked out the building before allowing students to go back inside.

“Fire crews arrived on scene. They did have a hint of a gas odor. Kansas Gas was on the scene. The school district and Kansas Gas will look for the leaks. We will continue to search and find where that odor came from,” said Battalion Chief Brad Boyd, Wichita Fire Department.

Fire officials determined that the utility rooms and the boiler rooms at the school are safe.

They are located in the northeast part of the school.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, racial slurs or consistent name calling will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus