WICHITA, Kansas – The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office in conjunction with Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, the Wichita Police Department, and the Kansas Highway Patrol will conduct operation “Cops on Rails/Officer on the Train” between 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. today.
Deputies will ride on trains to observe and report drivers who fail to stop for approaching trains.
Violations can be cited under K.S.A. 8-1551, which carries a $195.00 fine in addition to $98.00 court cost.
Operation “Cops on Rails/Officer on the Train” is a continuing effort by the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office and Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad to enhance awareness and promote safe driving habits.
Below are six simple rules to follow when near a railroad crossing:
- Never drive around lowered gates – it’s illegal and deadly.
- If your vehicle stalls on a crossing, immediately get everyone out and far away from the tracks. Call your local law enforcement agency for assistance.
- Be aware that trains cannot stop quickly.
- Always expect a train! Freight trains do not follow set schedules.
- Never race a train to the crossing – even if you tie, you lose.
- Always look and listen in both directions before trying to cross any railroad track.