GREAT BEND, Kansas (AP) – A fire that destroyed a dining center in central Kansas might put an annual summer camp for children with cancer in danger.
The fire was reported early Saturday at Camp Aldrich near Claflin. Camp Aldrich is owned by Barton Community College and is used for social events.
A wedding was planned at the hall Saturday, and all the food, decorations and wedding cake were lost in the fire.
Camp Aldrich is also the setting for Camp Hope, an annual week of fun for children battling cancer. Organizers say equipment for the camp is housed in the dining hall. They aren’t sure if the equipment was destroyed, or if they’ll be able to have the camp there this summer.