Student fell to death after eating pot cookie

DENVER (AP) — The Denver coroner says an exchange student from Wyoming fell to his death after eating a marijuana cookie, the first reported death linked to marijuana since the drug became legal for recreational use in Colorado in January.

Nineteen-year-old Levy Thamba died after falling from the balcony of a Denver hotel on March 11. An autopsy report released Wednesday says he died from the fall but also lists “marijuana intoxication” as a contributing factor in his death.

Officials at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., say Thamba, a native of the Republic of Congo, started taking classes there as an exchange student in January.

Police have not released the findings of their investigation.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus