18 dogs poisoned with antifreeze

LICKING COUNTY, Ohio (WCMH) – A Licking County, Ohio kennel owner says he cannot understand why someone poisoned his 18 dogs with antifreeze last week.

According to a report from the Licking County Sheriff’s Office, a deputy was called to a business at about 7:47 p.m. Friday.

The sheriff’s office had received a complaint that someone poisoned the owner’s dogs.

According to the report, the owner of Blue Ribbon Labradors said that sometime between Thursday night and Friday night, 18 dogs had gotten sick.

One of the caretakers for the dogs reported seeing one of the dogs having a seizure.

Jordan Wood, the grandson of the owner, helped rush the dog to a veterinary office, where the dog died from what authorities said was antifreeze poisoning.

By Saturday, all 18 of the dogs had been taken to Masterson’s Veterinary Clinic in Somerset.

Dr. Rhonda Masterson said the test results showed ethylene glycol was used to poison the dogs.

Masterson, her staff, and volunteers have been working around the clock to care for the sick dogs.

They were able to save 17 of the 18 dogs by using vodka given to the animals intravenously.

One dog, Buffy, remains in the clinic after Masterson said she spiked a fever of 109 degrees.

The kennel owner, 73-year-old Don Butts, said he forgives whoever poisoned the dogs, but he just cannot understand why.

Butts said he thinks someone stopped on the roadway, then poured antifreeze into the dogs’ drinking water.

Butts said he slept on the floor overnight, guarding his dogs.

Butts said his business has 79 dogs that have gone to the Pilot Dog Program, and that they’ve donated 33 puppies to the program that trains dogs as seeing eye dogs.

blog comments powered by Disqus