STAFFORD, Kansas – The former high school in Stafford was heavily damaged in a fire Saturday night.
It broke out just after 10 p.m. according to authorities.
KSN viewers say flames were higher than the tree tops.
The fire started on the top floor.
A police officer driving by saw the flames and several area fire crews were called to help battle it.
Witnesses say they were afraid the raging fire could spread to nearby homes.
“The firefighters were doing an amazing job trying to keep it from going into the the neighborhood to the south because the wind was blowing embers and sparks, it was crazy,” said Adrienne Minnis, witnessed fire.
The building hasn’t been used as a school in more than a decade.