WICHITA, Kansas – A two-alarm apartment fire early Wednesday morning sent several people to the hospital.
It broke out in the 4900 block of East Lincoln just before 2 a.m at the Parklane Alley Apartments.
Authorities say one person suffered critical injuries in the fire.
Several others suffered smoke inhalation.
Eight people were rescued by firefighters because they were on the top two floors.
A resident reported accidentally dumping her ash tray on the sofa earlier in the evening and woke up to smoke and flames.
There was also oxygen in the apartment.
The Red Cross has a shelter at Grace Lutheran Church in the 3300 block of East Pawnee.
Damage to the apartment is estimated at $200,000.