Cooking class explosion hurts 5 at Chicago school

CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Fire Department says five students were burned — one seriously — after a flash explosion during a high school cooking class.

Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford says four students at Northside College Prep High School were taken to hospitals after gas ignited in a biology lab while students were heating hot chocolate. The gas caused “a flash” explosion.

A fifth student declined treatment.

Sprinklers extinguished the fire that was reported around 10:30 a.m. The 1,000-student school was briefly evacuated.

Langford says the most seriously injured student received burns to the face, neck and arms.

Nick Przybyciel (PRAY’-uh-chel) is a spokesman at Swedish Covenant Hospital. He says two patients are in stable condition in the emergency room.

The Associated Press left messages with Chicago Public School officials.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus