MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (KARE) – Most dog owners will tell you that the canine species will eat just about anything, even if it doesn’t taste good, or is completely non-digestible.
Logan the Golden Retriever is the poster dog for this principal. The dog put his own life in danger on Super Bowl Sunday while digesting a plate of chicken wings and a football at a party while his owners weren’t watching.
According to Jerry Hudy, Logan’s owner, Logan got into the forbidden treats when some of the children at the party left a plate of chicken wings on an unattended chair.
Later that night, Logan started vomiting and by the next morning, he had developed a distended abdomen and was lethargic. The Hudys took Logan to their family veterinarian and after a series of X-rays Logan was referred to BluePearl Veterinary Partners, a specialty and emergency hospital for pets. There he was diagnosed with gastric dilatation and volvulus, known to vets as GDV.
The X-rays also showed that Logan had a rock in his stomach that he had ingested at an earlier date.
Dr. Heather Hadley, a board-certified veterinary surgeon with BluePearl, performed the emergency operation to de-rotate the stomach and to remove the bones, football leather, and rock from the stomach.
“With an appetite that destructive, it appears he may have been a dissatisfied Broncos’ fan,” Hadley joked. “On a serious note, despite our best efforts, dogs can still get into some very dangerous things. That’s why it’s so important that anytime you notice a change in your dog’s behavior, you contact your family veterinarian as soon as possible.”
According to Hadley, the Hudy’s quick trip to their veterinarian certainly saved Logan’s life. If not caught early, GDV can result in death.
Logan returned to BluePearl for a checkup Thursday, and he’s on track for a full recovery.
Additionally, Logan’s surgery included stitches to his stomach so the twisting will never happen again.