Blaze that killed twins an accident

Fire (KSN File Photo)
Fire (KSN File Photo)

PRATT, Kan. (AP) — A report by the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office says a December fire that killed two young twin brothers in southern Kansas was an accident caused by careless cooking methods.

Fire investigators have closed their portion of the probe, but a Pratt Police Department investigation could lead to possible criminal charges.

Jayce and Jasper Ibarra were 23 months old Dec. 23 when a fire broke out in their Pratt home. Firefighters found the boys’ mother, Destry Ibarra, on the porch roof with black smoke spewing from a second-floor window.

Firefighters found the boys, but an EMS crew determined both had died at the scene.

The fire marshal’s report says the blaze resulted from “careless and improper cooking methods causing a grease fire in the kitchen.”

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus