Snail found in school lunch

snail-1

HONOLULU (AP) — A student at a Hawaii school found a snail in his cafeteria-served lunch

KHON-TV reports the Kealakehe High School principal says he is taking the matter very seriously.

The snail was found Wednesday on a student’s salad served at the Kailua-Kona school cafeteria.

Principal Wilfred Murakami says the salad ingredients were washed properly by cafeteria staff. Murakami says that in this case, the snail was lodged in one of the leaves.

Snails and slugs may contain parasites that can attack the nervous system, causing rat lungworm disease. The disease can be debilitating.

Hawaii state epidemiologist Sarah Park says the disease can cause long-term complications, such as residual ghost pain, weakness in the limbs and headaches.

Murakami says the level of inspection at the cafeteria is being increased.

___

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus