One person killed and two others hurt after nightclub shooting

WICHITA, Kansas – Police say dozens of people were getting ready to leave a popular night club when someone started shooting. The violence killed one man and hurt two others.

Detectives are still trying to figure out what exactly happened at the Spotlite 2 that led to the death of a 30-year-old man.

“I heard bangs going off thought it was fireworks at first then possibly thought it was gunshots,” said Adrian Delong, heard gunshots. “I mean it was a succession of about 10-12 gunshots.”

Some people living near Hydraulic and Lincoln woke up in the middle of the night and saw flashing lights outside of their window.

Police responded to a disturbance call at the Spotlite 2 night club at around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning and when they arrived on scene they learned that three men had been shot.

“There was an altercation and a number of shots were fired,” said Sgt. John Hoofer, Wichita Police Department. “Three individuals were struck.”

Family and friends identified the 30-year-old victim as Layfayette Johnson.

Johnson was taken to the hospital, but later died.

Family and friends tell KSN News that Johnson was at the club with his 21-year-old brother and 28-year-old friend when the violence broke out near closing time.

“When the club released there was a number of people that came up outside and everybody heard something,” said Sgt. Kevin Kochenderfer, Wichita Police Department. “But over the music inside the club and all of the people going around we had different stories.”

Detectives blocked off the crime scene and had it reopened late Sunday afternoon. Detectives spent hours searching for evidence and clues that could lead them one step closer to solving the case.

“Due to the amount of people that came out from inside of the club there might have been various evidence that has been kicked around or moved around,” said Sgt. Kochenderfer.

Police say the 21-year-old man has since been treated and released from the hospital, but the conditions of the 28-year-old man was still unknown.

Right now, police have not released a suspect description.



Comments are closed.