SALINA, Kansas – KSN did some digging to find out what Salina workers found when they first went to the scene of a shocking incident last year.
KSN learned the City of Salina released the incident reports to another media outlet after an open records request.
KSN also filed an open records request to get a copy of those reports, but was told by the City Manager’s office that our request was forwarded to the legal counsel. The city told us those reports won’t be ready until later this week.
You may remember Jayden Hicks, 11 was shocked in Salina’s Campbell Plaza on May 29th.
She was playing in the rain when she came in contact with an in-ground junction box.
Hicks was taken to a Wichita hospital then transferred to a rehab facility in Nebraska where she later died in December.
The incident reports revealed details of what the city electrician found when he opened the junction box and the potential voltage of the shock.
KSN News spoke with Jayden’s father who tells us it’s hard for him to read about the report and that he is still coping with the loss of his daughter.
The family’s attorney tells KSN news they are very close to filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the City of Salina.