Wichita restaurant owners set to change pleas

gavel, sentencing, judge, court
Gavel (KSN File Photo)

WICHITA, Kansas (AP) – The operators of a Wichita restaurant have told a judge that they plan to change their pleas on federal charges of employing people who are in the country unlawfully.

A court notation Thursday in the case against Yong Lin and his wife, Zhuo Mei Weng, sets a hearing Feb. 12 for both of them in Wichita. The U.S. Attorney’s Office says it has reached tentative agreements for guilty pleas.

The couple was indicted last year on charges of conspiracy and harboring people who are in the U.S. unlawfully.

Prosecutors brought the case after federal agents and local police searched the World Buffet Grill and three Wichita apartments.

A 12-count indictment alleges they paid workers in cash and failed to complete employment eligibility forms.

 

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus