JANESVILLE, Wis. (AP) — Eight people in Janesville have been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning since Saturday, according to firefighters.
The Janesville Gazette reported (http://bit.ly/IE7yUt ) firefighters responded to six carbon monoxide calls between Saturday and Monday. Janesville Fire Department Lt. Kent Shea told The Associated Press three of the calls were false alarms. Firefighters verified carbon monoxide in the homes in the remaining three incidents.
Two of the incidents were caused by furnace problems, Shea said. The cause of the third leak is undetermined, but Shea said readings around that home’s furnace and water heater were negative and firefighters suspect carbon monoxide seeped into the house as the family’s relatives warmed up their cars in the driveway on Thanksgiving.
Four people were transported to the hospital in one incident involving furnace problems. The family involved in the second furnace incident had to spend the night elsewhere but was not taken to a hospital, Shea said.
Dean Lata’s family was involved in the third incident where the cause remains undetermined. He told the Janesville Gazette he woke up for work early Monday morning to find his wife already up and complaining she was hot and had a headache. He woke up the couple’s daughter and son, who both complained of headaches as well.
Latka got them out of the house and called firefighters. All four family members were taken to Beloit Memorial Hospital, where they took oxygen for several hours before being released. All of them had elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their blood.
The family didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector in their home. Latka said the first thing he did after getting released from the hospital was buy two detectors, one for each level of his home.
Shea said people should install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of their homes, check the expiration date on the detectors’ sensors, have their furnaces checked annually, keep exterior furnace and gas dryer vent openings clear of snow and avoid running vehicles in their garages even with the doors open.
Information from: The Janesville Gazette, http://www.gazetteextra.com