OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Experts say practicing good food safety is important to a successful Thanksgiving.
The Nebraska Regional Poison Center says taking proper precautions can help ensure that no one gets sick at your holiday gatherings.
It’s important to use a meat thermometer to make sure the turkey and any other meat dishes reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. That ensures any bacteria is killed.
Don’t leave perishable food out at room temperature for more than two hours.
Refrigerate any leftover turkey and use it within four days.
Make sure anyone helping in the kitchen washes their hands.
The Poison Center can answer other food safety questions at 1-800-222-1222.
Nebraska Regional Poison Center: http://www.nebraskapoison.com