Vet: Bald eagle likely died from lead poisoning

HILL CITY, S.D. (AP) — A veterinarian says a bald eagle found in the Black Hills likely died from lead poisoning.

Hikers found the bird Sunday near the Mickelson Trail south of Hill City.

The Rapid City Journal reports (http://bit.ly/IkcE8l ) Game Fish & Parks workers took it to a vet hospital in Pierre where it died Tuesday.

GFP regional supervisor Mike Kintigh says eagles ingest lead from ammunition that has been left in animals or gut piles.

___

Information from: Rapid City Journal, http://www.rapidcityjournal.com

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus